Retired EOL AP

Hi, I would like to know if a retired and eol AP (ap200) can be managed from Firebox Gateway Wireless Controller.
I have the opportunity to buy an used device but is retired and checking the serial number seems to be retired and also eol.
The Firebox as an active Total Security license.
Thanks

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Massimo_R

You should be able to manage the device, provided you have a firewall capable of running GWC. Not all XTM devices can do this. Anything in the M or T series can.

I would suggest looking at something that is currently supported, as End of Life APs won't be getting any firmware updates, feature enhancements, and you'll be unable to open support incidents for them.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• I have a T35-W and a T70 all of them with Total security active license and a AP225W with Total WiFi license managed with WiFi Cloud. My idea was to buy a used device just to prepare a lab to compare Cloud and GWC manageability before acquire future device with right license.
    On Ebay can be possible to find device like AP200 for few USD/Euro valid to create a lab environment. Unique doubt is if a EOL device that is marked as retired can be managed directly from GWC.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Massimo_R
    "Retired" is just a cosmetic status that hides the device from the account owner's list of devices (when you go into My WatchGuard -> My Devices.)

Being set as retired won't make the device unmanageable, and if you'd like it to show up in your list, opening a case with customer care and mentioning that you'd like the retired status taken off for <device's serial number(s)> will allow them to show up again.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.