Allow AuthPoint to import Google Authenticator accounts

Now that Google FINALLY has gotten the ability to export its tokens/accounts, I would like to be able to export via their QR code and import that token into AuthPoint. That would save a lot of time switching from Google Authenticator to AuthPoint.

I already did my changeover to AuthPoint from Google Authenticator manually...four days before Google had their ano-cranial separation (pulled their heads out of their...) and updated their app. "Missed it by that much!"

I just tested it, and AuthPoint could not import the QR code for a Code42 backup plan account, BUT Google Authenticator COULD import the QR code from AuthPoint.

Gregg Hill

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Greg,

The OAUTH based tokens should all be similar and work interchangeably. You can also click More (the 3 dots) and manually activate a token by typing the data in.)

Some of the barcodes get pretty tiny detail-wise, so it might just not have been able to get a good scan?

Does the barcode from Code42 cause an error, or did it just not scan?

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Regarding "You can also click More (the 3 dots) and manually activate a token by typing the data in.)", WHAT data? All the Google Auth export shows is a QR code.

The QR code in Google's export is 1.75" square.

When I use AuthPoint on my wife's phone to scan the Google Auth code on my phone, AuthPoint pops an error:

QR Code Error
    This QR Code is not supported.
    Error code: 400.004.575

I just click the OK button to dismiss the error.

Gregg Hill

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the reply.
    It looks like google moved to a different type of code for migrating accounts in one of their recent updates.

I've opened AAAS-11811 with the AuthPoint team to see if we can get this supported in the AuthPoint app. If you'd like to follow/track that item, please open a support case and mention AAAS-11811.

I tested, and generating a QR code directly from google did work. For the interim, I'd suggest importing directly into the AuthPoint app from whatever app you want to authenticate with, instead of migrating from google authenticator.

Thank you,

-James Carson

• I am not sure what you mean by "I'd suggest importing directly into the AuthPoint app from whatever app you want to authenticate with...."
    I want to authenticate with AuthPoint!

I have already done my 18 accounts in Google Authenticator to AuthPoint manually. I am trying to avoid that again if I run into anyone else I want to move from Goggle Authenticator to AuthPoint. I will be replacing my father-in-law's phone soon and I don't want to have to do all of his accounts manually.

Too bad AuthPoint does not have a way to just do a straight import from Google into AuthPoint on the same device. That's probably prevented for security reasons, although if I have physical access to install AuthPoint on the same device, security of that Google data really does not matter.

Gregg Hill

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

There's no way that an app would allow another app to scrape its data like that.

I'm referring to revoking/reissuing the token via whatever service it came from, which is what it sounds like you did. We'll look into getting this migration fixed so that it can work with the different format Google has moved to.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.