Old WiFi Firmware

Where did the option go to download the AP100, AP102, AP200 and AP300 firmwares in the WatchGuard System Manager and on the Web GUI under gateway wireless controller? I got a unit running 12.4.1 and 12.5.2 and the option to get the firmware for these access points are no longer present. I don't know how to upgrade the firmware of these devices without doing this.

Comments

• The AP100, 102, 200 & 300 are end of life - thus no longer supported, and no longer able to be updated with new firmware versions.
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-resource-center/end-of-life-policy

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @tolcheen
    Bruce is correct, they're end of life, so there isn't any new firmware for them.

If you need the last version provided, you can get it and load it on your firewall by going to:
    https://watchguardsupport.secure.force.com/software/
    Click Legacy, and you'll see your older APs listed there near the bottom of the list.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• I'm shocked to no longer see the option for those devices. The 12.4.1 firmware and system manager is from 6/2019 yet EOL for the AP300 is 12/2019. Was their a logic bomb that disabled them from appearing on 1/2020 or worse yet did WatchGuard access my boxes and change something without permission?

As for the firmware, I can web into the device, but after uploading the firmware, an unknown error happens and it it just continues to run its current version.

Hi @tolcheen

The firewall gets the list of available firmware from our servers at services.watchguard.com. We removed the end of life APs, because there won't be any new firmware made available for them.

The AP firmware is uploaded to the firewall, and is pushed from Gateway Wireless Controller to the APs. You can upload the component package to the firewall by following the instructions here:

https://watchguardsupport.secure.force.com/publicKB?type=Article&SFDCID=kA10H000000g2k4SAA&lang=en_US

-James Carson

• Thanks James. I like knowing how things works since this is security. Magical changes irk me to no end.

I also figured out how to upgrade the firmware. First, disable automatically provisioning new access points from the firewall. Next, restore the access point to factory defaults using the pinhole method. Download the firmware from WatchGuard and using 7zip, extract the single file. Take that -all file and again with 7-ZIP, navigate down the folder tree to the wap_firmware folder. Take the large file and extract that. That file now need its name changed to end in .bin. Now figure out the DHCP ip assigned to the access point and go to the website. Log in with wgwap and then the firmware tab, update the firmware with the bin file.

Only thing I don't know is if the firmware is already high enough to disable web access to the WAP, if the factory reset will set the firmware back to the original. Thankfully, I don't have to test that.

Hi @tolcheen

The way you're unpacking it can work -- but the supported way to do it is via the system manager like I described.

The current version on our website disables access via the WebUI, any changes can be made via the WSM/WebUI Gateway Wireless Controller tools.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.