New M270 cannot boot up after OS downgraded

Because I was trying to import a configuration file that i downloaded from another WatchGuard xtm 515 with OS 11.8. I downgraded my new M270 box from 12.4 to 11.12.4. after the box prompt me to reboot the new box boot up with the arm indicator light staying at red and never change to green. At this stage all the ports are not working
I try to reset the box to default factory mode but still resulting in the arm indicator staying red after booting up. Port not working, i cannot connect to interface 1 or the default 10.0.1.1

Please help !! what exactly happened? Did I corrupt the OS? how can manually load another OS into the new box?

Comments

• There is an important note on the Fireware download page for the M270

"Important Notice for Firebox M270 Users
    Firebox M270 supports only Fireware v12.2 and higher. Do not try to install any version of Fireware lower than Fireware v12.2."

You will likely need to contact Watchguard support to see if you can recover from this.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @JC_Admin

You may be able to use recovery mode to get the box back up:

(About Recovery Mode)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/other/QSW_recovery_mode_wsm.html

This boots the box into a different partition and allows it to receive new firmware. Assuming that part of the filesystem is in-tact that may work for you.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest opening a support incident.

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• @James_Carson said:
    Hi @JC_Admin

You may be able to use recovery mode to get the box back up:

(About Recovery Mode)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/other/QSW_recovery_mode_wsm.html

This boots the box into a different partition and allows it to receive new firmware. Assuming that part of the filesystem is in-tact that may work for you.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest opening a support incident.

Thank you,

Hi There
    Am i right to say that the recovery mode is the same as the reset default factory mode? The step look identical

• Not to me.
    Step 4 process on the Recovery list is not included in the Reset instructions

• BTW, you could have used your WatchGuard xtm 515 with OS 11.8 config to import it to the M270 without changing the M270's OS version.

Gregg Hill

• @Greggmh123 said:
    BTW, you could have used your WatchGuard xtm 515 with OS 11.8 config to import it to the M270 without changing the M270's OS version.

Hi
    I was told by the support I can actually open the configuration file using policy manager and change the OS version. not sure if this the correct step?

• In Policy Manager:
    Setup -> OS Compatability
    select 12.0-12.5.x

• @Bruce_Briggs said:
    Not to me.
    Step 4 process on the Recovery list is not included in the Reset instructions

Hi
    Sorry, but isnt it identical?

Reset firebox
    1.Power off the Firebox.
    2. Press and hold the Reset button on the front left of the device, and briefly press the Power button on the front of the device to power it on.
    3. The Arm indicator is red.
    4. Continue to hold the Reset button while the Arm indicator ( Shield symbol ) is red.
    4.The Arm indicator starts to flash green.
    5.Continue to hold the Reset button while the Arm indicator flashes green once per second.
    6.After the Arm indicator starts to flash green twice per second, release the Reset button.
    7. Wait until the Arm indicator starts to flash red.
    8. Press and hold the Power button for five seconds to power off the device.
    9. Briefly press the Power button on the front of the device to power it on.
    The Firebox restarts with factory-default settings.

Recovery
    1. Power off the Firebox.
    2. Press and hold the Reset button on the front left of the Firebox, and briefly press the Power button on the front of the Firebox to power it on.
    3. The Arm indicator is red.
    4. Continue to hold the Reset button while the Arm indicator ( Shield symbol ) is red.
    5. The Arm indicator starts to flash green.
    6. Continue to hold the Reset button while the Arm indicator flashes once per second.
    7. After the Arm indicator starts to flash green twice per second, release the Reset button.
    8. Wait until the Arm indicator starts to flash red.> @Bruce_Briggs said:

In Policy Manager:
    Setup -> OS Compatability
    select 12.0-12.5.x

Thank you Bruce!

• Hi All
    I cant thank you guys enough. I manage to get the firebox into the recovery mode and i can manage to access it using system manager. so I am going to try to run the setup wizard (finger cross)

• Hi Guys
    I will like to thank everyone of you for your unselfish help and responses,especially Bruce! I was able to recover the box OS by using the wizard. Once it reboot I was able to access the Web UL as per normal. Appreciated and once again Thank you!

• Hi Guys
    one last question. I am using the policy manager to open my XTM 515 configuration file and as advice i went to Setup-OS Compatability and select 12.0 and higher. When i try to write it to the new firebox i have the below prompt

The OS version of the Firebox or configuration file does not support the configured traffic management actions. Before you can save the confiiguration for this OS version, you must remove all traffic management actions. to use traffic management for this device, change the OS compatibility setting to match the OS version of this device or configuration file and then configure new traffic management actions.

which mean i have the remove the setting and redo the traffi management part, right?

• Hi Guys
    Manage to clear all the hole and save the file successfully into the firebox! thank you once again!

• Your box probably was on a lower version of Fireware when you tried to save the config to it.. You should update to the current version, then save the config as 12.0 and higher.

Gregg Hill

• Gregg:
    From the 2nd post, it would seem that a M270 came in with 12.2 or higher, and that the recovery got it back to whatever version it came in with.
    I assume that the only remaining issue was an incompatibility issue with Traffic Mgt from the old config going to 12.x

Sign In to comment.