Migrating old Firebox to a new account for management?

I have an old Firebox SOHO 6 that was happily running for years under the old administration account. However, I recently replaced all the units with newer models, but I would still like to use this on its own network. (isolated from the main network, as a failsafe more than anything)

The problem is, I would like to be able to upgrade the firmware to a newer version, however the machine's serial number is tied to the old administration account... Is there any way that I can migrate that to my account? The employee that managed it before is long gone.

Thanks everyone -- this is my first post here so I don't know what to expect!

Comments

• The SOHO6 is verrrrry old - it went End of Life on 25 Oct 2009.
    AFAIK, there is no way that you can get any software for this model any more.

And as a general rule, you can't upgrade any WG firewall which does not have a current support license on it. And, you can not get a support license for a firewall model which is EoL.

Bottom line - you will not be able to upgrade this unit to a new software version.

• @Bruce_Briggs said:
    The SOHO6 is verrrrry old - it went End of Life on 25 Oct 2009.
    AFAIK, there is no way that you can get any software for this model any more.

And as a general rule, you can't upgrade any WG firewall which does not have a current support license on it. And, you can not get a support license for a firewall model which is EoL.

Bottom line - you will not be able to upgrade this unit to a new software version.

Out of curiosity I gave Watchguard Customer Care a call this morning. They escalated the case to their IT department, to see if they can do anything on the backend. I think that they might be able to help get it running again.

• Good luck on that front.
    You never indicated what software version is currently on the SOHO 6.
    My records indicate that the last SOHO 6 software version was 6.4.1, released on Mar 28, 2005.

• WatchGuard Customer Care can get the SOHO 6 moved to a different account easily. You just need to prove it's yours and send pictures of the serial number.

However, as Bruce noted, you won't be able to upgrade it unless it has a current license, and trying to license that old device would be a waste of time and money.

Gregg Hill

• All this being said, if your soho 6 still works as-is, it is not bad to keep it as a backup. That's what we did with our old xtm22w.

• However, a XTM 22w is way newer than a SOHO 6, and thus has many more capabilities in the software as well as more memory & a much faster CPU.

• Oh yeah, absolutely. And it had almost all the features as the m200 except xtm pro. But I think even a soho 6 would have worked under the tradeup program we used.

• I did a trade-up from a SOHO 6 to a T10 a few years ago. The devices have to be within a certain range of each other. A trade-up won't work for a T10 to an M-series, for example. There is a sheet or page with the trade-up possibilities listed around here somewhere.

Gregg Hill

• Here is the info posted by James Carson of WG, on July 22. It may not be accurate anymore.

(WatchGuard Trade Up Program Overview)
    https://p.widencdn.net/sijswa/Trade_Up_Program_Overview

You can find the link in this thread:
    https://community.watchguard.com/watchguard-community/discussion/comment/941

Sign In to comment.