Options

Why do the link monitor intervals have a maximum of 10 consecutive failures?

If an interface is flapping and is only stable for a minute or two it's hard to adjust the link monitor intervals to fit. For fast failover with slow failback it would be nice to be able to set the probe interval to 3, the deactivate to 4 and the reactivate to 50 maybe even 100. I created a ticket for this but I'm wondering why it has such a low max in the first place.

Comments

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @JellyKid

If an interface is flapping that much, it won't be very reliable -- I'd suggest troubleshooting the root cause of that issue. Is it possible to work out why the connection is cutting out so much?

Having a connection cut in and out like that would be problematic for most web based services.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

@James_Carson I agree that it won't be very reliable. We experience issues like this maybe once every 3 months and they are issues on the ISP end. When you are in more rural areas, connectivity can be unreliable so it's good to have multiple ISPs to failover to. If an interface flaps instead of just dying it makes any form of internet connectivity unreliable. It would be nice to have something that can failover quickly and then wait for some kind of stability on the other interface. Kind of like the way your SD WAN works but instead of monitoring link quality just monitor connectivity. The current link monitor isn't flexible enough to do this.

Sign In to comment.