Options

Whitelist website

I'm an administrator of the website https://nz.tradevine.com and recently got notified by a customer that 'watchguard' firewall internet security is apparently blocking the customers access to our site. Is there a way I can lodge a whitelist request; plus I'd like to know why the site was flagged in the first place?

Comments

• Options

You can’t lodge a whitelist with WatchGuard to permit any website through anyone's firewall, you can lodge a URL category suggested change i.e. it’s in the incorrect category, Without knowing the reason why its blocked or which security service blocked it I am assuming its WatchGuard URL filter called Web Blocker
    Checking this https://nz.tradevine.com/ is categorized as Information Technology which isn’t necessarily a malicious category however the admin of the firewall blocking it could set that category to be blocked. Even if so the admin of the firewall can still block the category yet whitelist your individual site.

Of course I don't know the specific reasons its blocked and am assuming the customer sees a block message which could indicate its the URL filter, but there are many reasons why a firewall might block a website, be that URL cat, virus etc, many of them wont deliver a block message whereas URL filtering and Web Blocker will.

The key question if am assuming correctly here is that its likely to be your customers own firewall or whatever WatchGuard they are behind when they attempt to reach your website ( i.e. Its their problem to fix not yours) they need to discuss it with there own corporate ICT people their own firewall administrator and ask why they cant access your website, have the logs looked at to understand the real reason.

WatchGuard would not be able to press any magic button that's going your website to work through every WatchGuard firewall administered by a firewall admin whom purchased and uses the product to protect his/her own users as they see fit, if that admin decides his/her users wont be allowed to reach your site either intentionally or by mis configuration then its the admin of that firewall this user must speak to.

• Options

You can’t lodge a whitelist to permit any website through a firewall. You can lodge a URL category suggested change i.e. it’s in the incorrect category, Without knowing the reason why its blocked or which security service blocked it I am assuming its WatchGuard URL filter called Web Blocker. Checking this https://nz.tradevine.com/ is categorized as Information Technology which isn’t necessarily a malicious category however the admin of the firewall blocking it could set that category to be blocked but they can also block the category yet whitelist your site.

The key question if am assuming correctly here is that its likely to be your customers own firewall or whatever WatchGuard they are behind when they attempt to reach your website, if correct there is nothing WatchGuard can do to overrule the policies that firewall admin has set for their own users travelling through it.

Your user needs to speak to the firewall admin ahead of them to understand exactly why its blocked, look at the logs and make the decision rather than you speaking to WatchGuard.

• Options

I have no problem accessing your site.

No idea why your customer has issues.
    It must be related to some settings on their firewall configuration.

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

I would suggest telling your customer to screenshot the deny page that they're seeing when they try to go to your site, and tell them to forward that to their internal IT admin/helpdesk.

That should have all of the information their local helpdesk needs to change any settings to allow that site.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.