Options

Having trouble setting up logging to Dimension

I'm having some trouble setting up logging to Dimension. I'm able to setup the VM just fine in hyper-v, but after I change the IP address of the VM to a public IP, I'm not able to connect to the VM through the IP address anymore. I've tried making the address a public address as well as private and neither seem to work and don't take me to the dimension setup wizard.

I'm just going off the order of instructions in:

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/dimension/installation_hyper-v_d.html

But is there a different order I should do things? Or do I need to assign a specific IP address in a specific range?

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options

Where is your VM located? If behind your firewall, then the IP addr should be a private one from the same subnet as the Windows server.

• Options

@Bruce_Briggs said:
    Where is your VM located? If behind your firewall, then the IP addr should be a private one from the same subnet as the Windows server.

Yes. I made the VM on the same computer I manage the firebox from with WSM. I tried assigning the IP address 10.0.1.5 so the VM would be in the same subnet as my firebox and my management computer. But going to https://10.0.1.5 doesn't take me to the Dimension Setup Wizard.

• Options

Is your Dimension VM started?

Do you have a DHCP server on this subnet?
    Look there to see if there is an unknown IP addr which may be the VM, and try suing that IP addr.

• Options

@Bruce_Briggs said:
    Is your Dimension VM started?

Do you have a DHCP server on this subnet?
    Look there to see if there is an unknown IP addr which may be the VM, and try suing that IP addr.

Yes my Dimension VM is running.

The DHCP server is also my default gateway, which is the firebox, 10.0.1.1.

I've assigned a private IP address to the VM within the same subnet as my firebox.

I was able to access the Dimension Startup Wizard when my VM had its default IP address of 172.24.xxx.xxx. It's only after changing the IP address that I'm not able to access the Dimension Startup Wizard anymore.

• Options

Can you ping 10.0.1.5?
    Could 10.0.1.5 possibly be assigned to something else?

• Options

Maybe verifying the virtual switch configuration in Hyper-V and making sure the Dimensions server is attached to the correct virtual network adapter.

It's usually something simple.

• Options

@shaazaminator said:
    Maybe verifying the virtual switch configuration in Hyper-V and making sure the Dimensions server is attached to the correct virtual network adapter.

Ahh that was the issue. I was using the default switch option for the network adapter. The instructions for installing Dimension on Hyper-V didn't go over the details for configuring the virtual switch but I was able to get it working. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sign In to comment.