T30 firebox dont want reset.

edited June 2020 in Firebox - Hardware

I want to reset my t30 to factory default settings but i run into some problems.I hold reset button until Attn light blinking and when it stops blinking i restarted my t30.After that process i lost comminication with my firebox, i was plugged in with rj45(red cable WG) at port 1/LAN

1- ping 10.0.1.1 wont answer my pings.
2- Cant comminicate with Web ui.
3- fireware "unexpected error occurred".
4- connection CLI "error can't get kernel image".

what do you think about this problem ? is it a problem OS ? is there any way to reformat my firebox ?

Comments

• "error can't get kernel image"
    Doesn't look good.

If you have a LiveSecurity license, you can open a support incident and get help from WG on this.
    If not, I'm not aware of a way to fix it.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Yunus

It sounds like there may be a storage problem with that firebox. If the device is not responding to resets, the only way to resolve this will be via a support incident and RMA.

If the device is responding to the reset button, and is just failing to load the OS in normal mode, you can try using recovery mode to rewrite the main partition of the firewall:

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/other/QSW_recovery_mode_wsm.html

The smaller tabletop devices generally have the storage integrated on a chip on the system board, so opening the device wouldn't help. If the storage has failed the only solution will be to RMA. RMA requires that the device has an active support contract.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• I'll try recovery mode if it fails again i dont have any other solution for fix my firebox.

@Bruce_Briggs My license expired during pandemie i dont have licence for now.

@James_Carson My LiveSecurity license is expired during pandemie i think i cant RMA. Thanks anyway.

Thanks you for your help :smile:

Hi @Yunus

If you're able to renew your support contract, RMA picks right back up, and doing that is likely much less expensive than replacing the device yourself.

-James Carson

• edited April 2023
    I have opened several generations of the small T20, T30 and the models before those and all of them have their storage on an SD card. The old full size SD cards. This is a common failure point in these devices. It seems like after a year or two they lose their formatting.

@Je9919 Some of the firewalls use SD cards, CF, M.2, SATA. It depends on the hardware model.

If you do have a unit with a failed storage device, I would suggest RMAing it, as the device's hardware warranty covers it under most circumstances so long as there is an active support contract.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.