MAC-IP Reservation CSV Import

Hello, I have 500+ list of IP-MAC Reservation in my college environment. I cannot do the same by adding single at a time. it is very time consuming. Please help with your assistance to conclude my test quickly.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @HG_ESP

If you're adding these to the DHCP pool, the only way to add them will be via that dialogue box. If you're making that many reservations, I'd suggest using a DHCP relay or using a different DHCP server.

(Define a New VLAN)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/networksetup/vlan_define_new_c.html

There is a feature request (FBX-9345) to allow a bulk import/export of this, but right now this will be the only way to accomplish that.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• @james.carson said:
    Hi @HG_ESP

If you're adding these to the DHCP pool, the only way to add them will be via that dialogue box. If you're making that many reservations, I'd suggest using a DHCP relay or using a different DHCP server.

(Define a New VLAN)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/networksetup/vlan_define_new_c.html

There is a feature request (FBX-9345) to allow a bulk import/export of this, but right now this will be the only way to accomplish that.

Did anything come from this feature request(FBX-9345)? It sure would make may tasks easier if there were a way to bulk import DHCP reservation info.

• I can't find any info which indicates that is feature has been implemented.

As James usually says - if you'd like to follow that request, please open a support case and mention FBX-9345, the tech assigned to the case can set that up for you.

FBX-9345 was accepted and is currently in our developer backlog (waiting for developer time.) If you'd like to follow it please create a case and mention FBX-9345 somewhere in the case.

-James Carson

• Any updates on this feature?

• @S0lutionS I was just looking this up today and surprised to see a comment on the same day.

I did find a workaround for this just this evening as I had 29 reservation entries I wanted to transfer from one firebox to a new one faster than using the GUI (WSM and UI), so I creatively used the CLI.

reference: https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/fireware/12/en-US/CLI/index.html

IMPORTANT: Backup Your Configuration BEFORE Making Any Changes!
    Changes are applied as soon as the command executes successfully!

Using the CLI you can extract the reservations from the source firebox.

• You will need to be reasonably handy with a text editor such as vim, gVim, VS Code, etc. to do vertical/column edits. Alternatively you can use notepad and brute force your way with Ctrl+H (find/replace).
    • Pick your ssh terminal flavor such as PuTTY.

I happened to have WSL on Windows 11 so I can ssh directly from cmd to the source firebox using the status account:
    ssh status@10.0.1.1 -p 4118
    Enter password

If your reservations are configured on int1 (default Trusted LAN):
    WG#show interface 1
    Look for the following line and grab the chuck of text that contains the list of reservations...
    DHCP server Reservation(s) : Printer1, ff:ff:ff:a5:a5:a5, 10.0.1.200

Paste this chuck of reservation text into the text editor and make two required changes:
    1. prefix each line with "dhcp server reservation "
    2. find and replace commas as to have only one space between hostname MAC IP
    3. check for arbitrary leading or tailing characters so you have clean commands

dhcp server reservation Printer1 ff:ff:ff:a5:a5:a5 10.0.1.200
    dhcp server reservation Printer2 ff:ff:ff:a5:a5:b5 10.0.1.201
    dhcp server reservation Printer3 ff:ff:ff:a5:a5:c5 10.0.1.202

Exit from the source firebox.

SSH to the new or destination firebox with admin:
    ssh admin@10.0.1.1 -p 4118
    Enter password
    WG#config
    WG(config)#interface FastEthernet 1
    WG(config/if-fe01)#
    At this last prompt in Interface Mode you can copy your clean preformatted text file commands all at once and paste/right-click. This will write each reserved command executing them one by one. Make sure you press Enter on the last command to execute.

You can verify the entries by typing:
    WG(config/if-fe01)# show interface FastEthernet 1

You can also verify through the WSM and WebUI as the changes commit as soon as the command executes.

Clean up by exiting three times.

Finally - Backup Configuration!

@S0lutionS
    There have not been any changes to this request. If you'd like updates, please create a support case and mention FBX-9345 somewhere in the case. The tech assigned your case can set that up for you.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.