Need 400gbe/800gbe port on M4800/M5800

Need 400gbe/800gbe port on M4800/M5800

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @ThomasGV
    Taking a look at the datasheet for an M5800, that appliance would have a hard time saturating two 40gbe interfaces bonded together under most circumstances.

See:
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-resource-center/docs/firebox-m4800-m5800

400gbe/800gbe are generally in the realm of switches interfacing with each other, or direct connections to large storage arrays -- what specifically are you looking to interface via the firewall that would move that much data?

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• edited October 2022

This was what watchguard Support Engineer Said when I requested for 40gbe Port 12 to 14 years ago. If watchguard wont do 400gbe then provide 100gbe Ports instead of 40gbe ports. M4800/M5800 Needs better speed than 40gbe connection. I hope they work improving this, If not i will have to built my own HPE DL380 G10 Server with 400ge NIC Card then use WatchGuard Hyper-V Solution

Hi @ThomasGV
    I'm happy to put in a feature request -- I'm simply trying to understand what you're trying to do. Understanding what customers are doing with their products is an important part of designing future appliances.

Higher speeds may be possible in future appliances, and appropriate interfaces can be considered alongside them.

Per that datasheet, it's not going to be possible for the M5800 to attain speeds to utilize that hardware. Simply adding 400 or 800gbe ports to it won't allow it to be able to use them above what it can already do with the existing 40gbe ports.

In theory it may be possible to do this with FireboxV XL, but I can't guarantee that it would be. Throughput on FireboxV is largely dependent on the hardware and hypervisor that is in use.

-James Carson

• Thank You, I prefer at least 100gbe Ports instead of 40gbe, if possible in the future, do 400gbe/800gbe for future Top of the Line Watchguard like M4800/M5800

This was created as a feature request to evaluate including these standards on new firewalls
    FBX-23939

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.