Can the Mobile SSL VPN Client be added to the Windows Package Manager?

I am trying to streamline and simplify our deployment process, as part of this I have identified a large number of applications that can be installed via the Windows Package Manager, AKA winget. Is this on the roadmap at all to allow enterprises to quickly and easily deploy the SSL VPN client (and keep it updated across endpoints)?

Answers

• I know not the answer you are looking for....exactly. But, I know for a fact the OpenVPN Connect client can (OpenVPN is what WG is created from). I also find that 99.999999999% of users (and support) find the Open VPN Connect system easier to trouble shoot and run day to day.

Another option that is able to be run with scripts is of course the IKEv2, well, when Microsoft is not busy breaking it all together.

• @TestingTester said:
    I know not the answer you are looking for....exactly. But, I know for a fact the OpenVPN Connect client can (OpenVPN is what WG is created from). I also find that 99.999999999% of users (and support) find the Open VPN Connect system easier to trouble shoot and run day to day.

Another option that is able to be run with scripts is of course the IKEv2, well, when Microsoft is not busy breaking it all together.

I'm contemplating suggesting this as an alternative... It's certainly a nicer interface.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @DaveMackleroy

You can package it, but when installing via silent mode you may run into an issue with the TAP driver that's used.

Please see the two KB articles here:

https://techsearch.watchguard.com/KB?type=Article&SFDCID=kA10H000000g3E9SAI&lang=en_US

https://techsearch.watchguard.com/KB?type=Known Issues&SFDCID=kA10H000000g3UBSAY

The OpenVPN client can work, but requires the users pull down the OVPN profile from the firewall themselves initially, and every time you change any config settings in the SSLVPN on the firewall. WatchGuard's SSLVPN client does this by itself. OpenVPN's client also does not support entering OTP keys via pop-up which complicates the user experience. I'd suggest not using the OpenVPN app unless you absolutely have to.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

In addition to what @TestingTester said, if you don't explicitly have to use SSLVPN for whatever reason, I'd suggest using the IKEv2 VPN. It generally performs better and is accessible from most OSes start/home/menu bar natively.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.