Options

Question on Dimension Setup - Existing VM vs New VM

Quick question on setting up Dimension, this is in a Hyper-V environment.

I read through the setup/install guides that WatchGuard provides, but I'm still a little unsure on whether or not it's recommended to set up Dimension as its own server, or if I could simply attach the VHD to an existing VM that we already use for System Manager. We want to try and centralize the WG stuff, so would it be appropriate to add the VHD to the existing server and set up Dimension, or is that going to cause problems?

Comments

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @James_S512
    The VHD is its own OS, you'll need to create a new VM. As far as I'm aware, HyperV will not allow you to nest VMs inside each other.

I would suggest importing the VHD as a new VM, and just run it along side your other VM server.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options
    edited September 2022

There is no reason at all that assuming you have a HyperV server, you just add Dimension to what ever you have, even if there is already a Dimension there.

When you setup Dimension you assign it an IP address and that is what your boxes are going to communicate to - as they have to say "Here is my stuff" as opposed to the server reaching out and saying "gimmie your stuff".

From there your WG boxes have to point to the IP address' where your report (Dimension) server is. You would also need to do your port forward for outside devices to be able to talk into the system from outside of your edge.

Then, there are things like this....

Sign In to comment.