FireboxV model upgrade

Hi,

I have to upgrade my FireboxV small edition to a medium edition.

Reading the docs it says:
https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/overview/fireware/xtmv_about_c.html

_To upgrade your FireboxV or XTMv device from one model to another model, you must deploy the virtual machine for the new model and then use Policy Manager to move the configuration from the old model to the new model. The procedure to do this is the same as the steps to move a configuration between two physical Firebox devices
_

What´s the reason, i have to deploy a new OVF image and add my new feature key and config to this VM?

The FireboxV image is the same for each model, so what is the limit for me just not add the new feature key to my existing device. Is it because i get a new serial number for the VM?

Regards
Robert

Comments

• IMO, because when they setup their systems they figured everyone wold be "Enterprise" and put folks on different VM servers or server centers. It oddly is FAR easier to go from a T20 to an M5800 in about 90 seconds than it is from one V to another V.... I don't get it. Nothing you can do.

• It oddly is FAR easier to go from a T20 to an M5800 in about 90 seconds than it is from one V to another V.... I don't get it. Nothing you can do.

You are right. And it´s duo to a new serial number.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @rv@kaufmann.dk
    The main reason is that when a FireboxV (or XTMv) is activated, it locks itself to the number of CPUs and interfaces that your specific model supports.

Insofar as you have to move appliances to go from a T20 to an M5800, the same is true for FireboxV. Once it's activated, it's locked to that specific appliance type/version.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.