IP Address Mapping

Like with Dimension it would be helpfull if there could be an option to do IP Address Mapping, so the reports show names instead of ip-adresses.

Comments

• We have been asking for that, even by host name for...well, about 15 years.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Emile
    If you'd like to use address mapping, you'll need to use Dimension. The amount of CPU and resources required to manage the mapping is significant, and would impact the performance on all but the largest of our firewalls. In general, we even recommend that Dimension has 2 CPUs and at least 4GB of RAM in order to use that feature effectively.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi @james.carson
    That is why I asked the question, we used to use Dimension and this has this option. The problem is that I cannot install Dimension in the Google Cloud as it is not available in their marketplace, so I need to use the Watchguard Cloud but the reports are then not that readable for a human because if the IP-addresses.

• Even in Dimension, you do not get the hostname in the regular view. It is easier to go back to the DHCP server and get the hostname from theIP If I am not mistaken, you need SSO to get the hostname to show in DImension. Been a while.

@TestingTester
    Dimension (on-premise) can do reverse DNS and host-table mapping. SSO is only used if you want user names.

The more specific log will take precedence, so user name will be used if it's provided by SSO, but if we don't get a user we will attempt a host lookup using whatever method is configured.

-James Carson

@Emile For WatchGuard cloud there is likely a feature request -- I'll have to check on that and I'll let you know what I find.

-James Carson

There is a feature request for WatchGuard Cloud, it's DAAS-7983. It's currently closed, so I would not expect to see this feature in the cloud for the time being. It may be revisited as firebox logging is enhanced to contain more data -- but at this current time, unless the username is contained in the log Dimension has to reach back to determine that data, which isn't feasible with cloud hosted Dimension.

-James Carson

• @james.carson Thanks for the update, i wil have to wait then.

• @james.carson said:
    It may be revisited as firebox logging is enhanced to contain more data -- but at this current time, unless the username is contained in the log Dimension has to reach back to determine that data, which isn't feasible with cloud hosted Dimension.

That is the thing - it IS in the log (and can be seen via DHCP logs). It just does not match the two. Oh well....

Sign In to comment.