Options

Cant Update Feature Key

One of our facilities we swapped out a T35 for a T40...those of us who know WG know that you can just scoot the config over with System Manager...change the device, update the feature key and you are identical to where you were minutes ago.....well, not anymore.

The AP's license did not move. Makes no sense that they do not update their feature keys (AP320's that are grandfathered). Support says talk to Customer Care who says talk to support. I am going to default one of the APs to see if that resolves the issue...but, if it does not, we will replace with Meraki (including the edge)...

Any other of y'all run into this AP mess with edge-managed AP's? They want so hard to cloud manage everything and add to our yearly budgets to get fewer features....fun times.

Comments

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @TestingTester
    Do you have a case number that I can look into? Feature keys can be updated manually in Firebox System Manager or the WebUI.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

I had no issues doing this config migration to a new firewall in the past.
    My GWC configured AP300 had no issues going from a T35 to a T20 in Jan 2020.

• Options

@Bruce_Briggs said:
    I had no issues doing this config migration to a new firewall in the past.
    My GWC configured AP300 had no issues going from a T35 to a T20 in Jan 2020.

Me too, many many times....just last week we replaced a T15 with a T20, week before a T90 with an M390....all of a sudden this one does not want to seem to play (only thing I find as a clear difference is the most current firmware on box). The edge at this facility is 100% grandfathered...next step would be to default the AP's and see what happens. But, if I have to send folks out to get to high ceilings we are going to replace the APs with another vendor.

Odd, very odd.

James - sorry, no case # as I am not certain anyone even opened an official case. In general, it is not worth calling Support - and, in general, Customer Care are rock stars.

• Options

@TestingTester said:
    One of our facilities we swapped out a T35 for a T40...those of us who know WG know that you can just scoot the config over with System Manager...change the device, update the feature key and you are identical to where you were minutes ago.....well, not anymore.

The AP's license did not move. Makes no sense that they do not update their feature keys (AP320's that are grandfathered). Support says talk to Customer Care who says talk to support. I am going to default one of the APs to see if that resolves the issue...but, if it does not, we will replace with Meraki (including the edge)...

Any other of y'all run into this AP mess with edge-managed AP's? They want so hard to cloud manage everything and add to our yearly budgets to get fewer features....fun times.

Last week i had a quote from Meraki as we needed 29 more switches. Their prices has gone through the roof. Same switch, same service as we bought before is now 120% more expensive. They ended up given me 20% discount from the 120% increased price.

I told them forget it - we are going to buy from another vender - and that´s what we are going to do.

/Robert

• Options

I did some digging around and was able to find out there was an issue discovered yesterday (27 June 2022) related to generating/retrieving feature keys for some customers -- this has since been fixed.

@TestingTester If you're still running into the issue, I'd suggest trying to let the system pull the feature key again -- if that's the issue you were running into, it should work now. Customer care and the support team can generate keys manually should the system go down. Without a case number, serial numbers, or any other info, I can't verify that's specifically what's happening, though.

Feature keys never moved with the .xml configuration file (if you save your config file from policy manager, you'll see two files, a .xml, which is your config, and a .lic.gz file, which is license data. If you moved to a different device, the license data would be ignored.

You can get your feature key and import it manually with these instructions:

(About AP Licenses for Gateway Wireless Controller)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/wireless/ap_subscriptions.html
    This shows where to get your feature key for your AP on the watchguard.com site

(Monitor AP Status)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/wireless/ap_monitor_c.html
    See the section about halfway down about "Update AP Feature Key"

If you're having problems with any of that, I'd suggest creating a case (you can do so without calling by clicking the support center button on the top right of this page.) If we have the serial numbers for the APs we can help by creating the keys manually if the system is down, for example.

If your APs are still down, I can get someone on the issue right away with a case as that'll have the details we need to help

-James Carson

• Options

I will try it today if I can get to that facility. I do have a brand new AP with me to see if that one does get a license (but, it is not intended for this facility long term).

Way back in the day the portability of the WG config via System Manager is why I moved there from ASA land...maybe times are changing, I hope not.

• Options

Well, finally got around to this yesterday - the Feature Key update did work with 12.8...now that they are working, I have about 40 days to take them all out and put in our new Meraki APs (waiting on a lift - fun times).

• Options

@TestingTester said:
    I will try it today if I can get to that facility. I do have a brand new AP with me to see if that one does get a license (but, it is not intended for this facility long term).

Way back in the day the portability of the WG config via System Manager is why I moved there from ASA land...maybe times are changing, I hope not.

The edge at this facility is 100% grandfathered...next step would be to default the AP's and see what happens. But, if I have to send folks out to get to high ceilings we are going to replace the APs with another vendor.

• Options

I looks to me that all of the WG wi-fi 5 model APs are End of Life, so that they are no longer officially supported.

https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-trust-center/end-of-life-policy

• Options

@Bruce_Briggs

The Wave2 AC APs: AP125, 225W, 325, 327x, and 420 are all currently end of sale. All of those models are slated for end of life at the end of 2026.

The Wave1 AC APs: AP120, 320, 322 are all end of life.

The G/N (hockey puck) APs: AP100, 102, 200, 300 are all end of life.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.