Pain Point: TINY little drop down menu on VPN client

I'm a consultant who sells a ton of Watchguard. As a result, I spend much of my day VPNing to different customers.

The VPN client saves the hostnames of the devices I connect to... but the dropdown menu for hostname is 5 entries long. I have 50+ customers. I'm scrolling endlessly... or just typing the endpoint name in fresh because I don't have the time to hunt. Grr!

Comments

• Which VPN client exactly????

• Watchguard Mobile VPN with SSL Client

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Porkchop

I see your pain point, but I'm not really sure how to make an improvement in your case. What would you like the menu to do? I can see having a drop down of 100 items being just as frustrating.

-If you start typing, it should start to autocomplete -- unless the host names are very similar.

-Consider using the management server, or manage the devices in the cloud so that you're VPNing to one endpoint vice multiple.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Thanks @james.carson

Allowing the dropdown to display (say) 20 items would be a huge improvement for someone with 50 customers. Or perhaps have it display (numberOfDropdownItems * 0.5) , that way it doesn't interfere with those who don't have a pile of customers.

I see that if I hit the dropdown menu, the menu does react to what is typed into the field. That helps, when the VPN endpoints address doesn't start with 'vpn.' anyway. But I have to admit I key on the domain name, not the host name. While 'vpn.' is very popular I don't always remember which clients use 'vpn.' verses 'portal.' or 'sitename.' or 'vpnsitename.' or whatever else tickled their fancy. (And before you ask, we're a consultancy not an MSP, so we can't enforce standards!)
    While I'm at it, can we get Ctl-A (select all keyboard shortcut) working in there? :)

The management server would help only manage fireboxes, no? That's a tiny fraction of what we do and we'd have to convince our customers to buy extra licensing for something that doesn't actually help them.

Sign In to comment.