Watchguard Product comparison

I'm trying to determine which WatchGuard model would be most suitable for a client who has 800+ users connecting to the network. When looking at the product comparison chart I see that each model has an "Ideal For" number of users. For example, the Firebox M290 is indicated for 75 users, the M370 for 150 users, and the M590 for 500 users.

My questions are:

Should I focus primarily on the "Ideal For" number of users when selecting a model for the client? Given the 800+ user count, how should I approach this decision?

For models like the M290, which is ideal for 75 users, does this mean that if I have 75 users using Mobile VPN (which it also supports), it can still handle those 75 VPN users alongside the original 75 network users simultaneously? Or is there a combined limit of 75 users (both regular and VPN users)?

Comments

• To a large degree, it depends on how the users are using resources which are connected through the firewall.
    If the users are casual internet browsers, then usage is low per user, and so a lower throughput firewall would server their needs.
    If users are doing database searches to a database on a different firewall interface, such as a DMZ, then usage per user is high to very high.

Mobile VPN users likely use far less resources than a local user - because local users usually have Gigabit access the firewall with very low latency, whereas a remote user has far less bandwidth access with higher latency.

Perhaps this tool can help:
    WatchGuard Appliance Sizing Tool
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-resource-center/watchguard-appliance-sizing-tool

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

If you need help sizing a firewall, in addition to the sizing tool, I'd suggest sending a message to our sales team. They can help take additional requirements to find a firewall that fits your needs the best.

You can do that here:
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-sales/emailus

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.