Use WebBlocker to Block Some Computers but not All ( IP Address)

I want to restrict by using WebBlocker certain IP addresses in my office. That is, for my employees who waste time on the internet. I have used Webblocker before, but most employees do not abuse the internet (some need full access) and I do not need to block everyone. I just need to block certain computers in my office from accessing the all the internet.

I do not see how Webblocker can do this.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @ncharlie99

You'll need to set up different HTTP/HTTPS proxy policies for the users you want to monitor, and ones you don't.

There's a few ways you can go about doing this.

-By IP address. If your users have static IP addresses, or IP address reservations, you can make your policy by IP addresses.

-By user/group name: If you are using Single Sign-on, you can user the From field in your policies to include group or user names. If you go this route, I would suggest using groups, as the group name will always return the same way. Usernames will appear however the user typed them when they logged in. For example, "Charlie" would be interpreted as a different user than "charlie" -- usernames are case sensitive.

-By network or VLAN: Users that you want to be monitored can be connected to a different VLAN or network.

Whichever you choose, I would suggest ordering your policies so that your restricted users hit their policy first, and then the rest of your users hit a catchall general policy. This would end up looking something like policies 2-4 here:

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.