Supported 5G modems

Greetings.

I am looking to use a 5G usb modem as a failover on a T15. The only list I can find of supported modems is 3/4G modems. Is there an updated list with 5G modems anywhere or is there a way for me to verify if a modem will work?

Regards
Stoffe Eriksson, Farsight.

Answers

• This is the list when it comes to Modem interfaces https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/networksetup/modem_interfaces_about.html you could go 3rd party 5G router for outbound failover, at least then you can place the LTE in a better position linked to one of your interfaces.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Farsight_Tech_Nordic

The firewall itself doesn't see a difference between a 3G, 4G, or 5G modem - it treats them the same way.

The list of supported devices in in the article here:
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/networksetup/modem_interfaces_about.html

The T45-CW supports 5G connections natively, and the T80/T85 support 5G connectivity via an LTE expansion module that goes in the back of those devices.

If there is a specific USB modem model that you'd like to be supported, I would suggest opening a support case with the details for that device.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• The devices in that list are mostly legacy devices. T-mobile currently offers an Inseego device which has ethernet or USB tethering. I feel like the ethernet option should at least work. Not sure about USB.

I'm a bit disappointed with the options at the moment. The T-85 LTE module is expensive, and the T45-CW is missing the PoE option.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @phanaaekIT

If the T-mobile device has an ethernet port, the firebox should be able to use it just like any other external interface.

The 5G USB device offering is based on devices carriers provide which are also compatible with a device like a firewall driving them. If the USB device requires a Windows driver, for example, it won't be compatible with the firebox as it can't run those.

In most markets, the number of USB devices available have dwindled or simply aren't available anymore.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.