Install a Watchguard on CPL Network

Hello guys,

I go a question about installing a Firebox WatchGuard.

My client use some CPL (network over electrical transmission) to extend their network and I want to know if the firebox support them or I will be encountered some problem ?

Thanks for your help

Best Answer

• edited November 2022 Answer ✓

@Hugo_PERNET said:
    @Tristan.Colo

CPL is an equipment that you plug on an electrical socket on two ways (near to the internet box and in the room you want to have Internet) and the two equipment communicate on the electrical network (like your TV with electrical power).

The CPL is use to broadcast Wifi and be connect to the newtork.

Here is a design of the network

Well, idk if it's Layer 3, I don't have access to the equipment and no one saw it physicaly.

The point is that client will be connect to another one with VPN gateway, does it concern the fact you said about "route" ?

P.S : sorry for the english, this is not my native language.

That sounds like it should work then as it just connects to the wireless network to get on the LAN according to your notes. Routes only matter if that stuff is behind another network on another gateway which it seems it is not.

If it can get on the network usually then the WG should be able to support it as the WG is just going to be a security solution on your edge and wouldn't change how that stuff worked (as long as you configure all of your switch/VLAN stuff on the WG the same as your previous router).

Answers

• edited November 2022

If it works anything like POE then it should work... or I don't see why it wouldn't. What does CPL stand for?

As long as that stuff communicates on your current LAN then the WG should support that stuff too as long as it doesn't require routes. IE if it is on the network already and getting across then the WG should work (Unless it is Layer 3 stuff and using a specific route that is)

• edited November 2022

@Tristan.Colo

CPL is an equipment that you plug on an electrical socket on two ways (near to the internet box and in the room you want to have Internet) and the two equipment communicate on the electrical network (like your TV with electrical power).

The CPL is use to broadcast Wifi and be connect to the newtork.

Here is a design of the network

The WG is supposed to be install right behind the Box.

Well, idk if it's Layer 3, I don't have access to the equipment and no one saw it physicaly.

The point is that client will be connect to another one with VPN gateway, does it concern the fact you said about "route" ?

P.S : sorry for the english, this is not my native language.

• That sounds like it should work then as it just connects to the wireless network to get on the LAN according to your notes.

Yeah that's right.

Thanks for you help btw, it was quick.

• @Tristan.Colo

Do you know if we can bridge wifi network of the Livebox (before the WG) to the LAN after the WG ?

• @Hugo_PERNET said:
    @Tristan.Colo

Do you know if we can bridge wifi network of the Livebox (before the WG) to the LAN after the WG ?

I don't know I have never used the Livebox. You would need to ask the Vendor for the Livebox appliance on how that stuff works because it seems like the appliance probably double-NATs anything you put behind it.

I have never used the solution before so anything I'd have to say would be pure speculation unfortunately.

• @Tristan.Colo said:

@Hugo_PERNET said:
    @Tristan.Colo

I don't know I have never used the Livebox. You would need to ask the Vendor for the Livebox appliance on how that stuff works because it seems like the appliance probably double-NATs anything you put behind it.

I have never used the solution before so anything I'd have to say would be pure speculation unfortunately.

Okay, thanks for your time and have a nice day ;)

Sign In to comment.