SSLVPN on Windows 11

I have seen issues with the SSLVPN on 2 Windows 11 machines. One person went ahead upgraded his Surface to Windows 11. Once he did that the SSLVPN stopped working. It would start to load after log in and then just stop and go back to the sign in. Seen it on 2 machines now. The 2nd machine was brand new. User setup Windows 11 using her Microsoft account but she wanted to have just a local account. Created the local admin account and now her vpn no longer works. Sing in works and starts loading and then stops and jumps back to the sign in. She is remote and doesn't really need it so I did not troubleshoot it any further but will try and get back with her to collect the logs. Anyone else see this? Client is 12.7.2 and Firewall is a M370 also running 12.7.2

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @kcarpenter
    Often OS upgrades will modify the network devices on a PC -- which is what the SSLVPN attaches (or binds) to.

Completely uninstalling it (the VPN client and TUN driver), rebooting, and re-installing will generally re-register everything.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Thanks. Tried that. One of the computers is brand new that came with Windows 11.

@kcarpenter I'd suggest opening a support incident and our support team can help investigate -- use the support center link on the top right of this page.

-James Carson

• Can anyone @james.carson comment here on whether this ever got resolved? I experienced a similar issue when attempting to get a user connected on a Win 11 Pro virtual PC running on a new MacBook Pro under Parallels (using v 12.7.2 of the WG SSL VPN client). The software installed just fine but would not allow him to connect. Thanks in advance.

Hi @D_Edmunds
    I've had several customers report success. Unless you have a specific reason to use the SSLPVN with Win11, I'd suggest using the built in IKEv2 VPN client that ships with Windows.

If you need the SSLVPN client, I'd suggest opening a support case.

-James Carson

• Hello to all, I am replying to this cause I am experience the same issue. Is there a way to connect with the mobile ssl vpn client over parallel or not?
    Please advice.

Regards

Hi @Theo_Adon
    The key is going to be to look at your SSLVPN logs to see what is going on. If you right click on the system tray icon for the SSLVPN, you should have an option to show logs. The lines near the end will be most recent.

I don't have any reason to expect that this would not work with parallels specifically.

-James Carson

• I'm curious @james.carson if anyone has ever got this resolved?

I'm attempting a Win 11 Pro virtual PC running on a new MacBook Pro under Parallels (using v 12.7.2 of the WG SSL VPN client) and I can login to the firewall but it immediately disconnects. I've looked at the logs (Debug log level) and don't see anything obvious.

I've also tried with the built in IKEv2 VPN client that ships with Windows, but cannot get it to connect.

My setup on Win 10 works just fine... thanks in advance.

Hi @jwright
    If both aren't working, that suggests there's either a problem with the config, or with the virtual machine.

-If other PCs can connect, but the VM can't, the machine there is where I'd start.
    -If you can, I'd suggest trying to install either the IKEv2 or SSLVPN on the Mac itself and see if you can connect there. That'll help identify if it's something on the Mac (network stack, IDS software, firewall, etc) or if it's with the parallels install.

While the symptoms are a bit similar, I'd suggest that there's at least 3 or 4 unique problems going on. If you're stuck, the best way forward would be to open a support case so that one of our support reps can get more details and help determine what is going wrong.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.