Options

Reduce database size

I have a Dimension server logging 55 watchguards. I am removing 6 of them and setting up a dedicated dimension server for those 6 for a client that wants a lot longer retention period. I recently upgraded the database size by double to 600GB (for them). I am setting up a new raid on an old server of 300GB 15k drives so that dimension will hopefully run better because right now its dreadful. This means I need to reduce the size from 600g to 300gb (well like 280). When I added space I simply added it to the VM and rebooted dimension and it picked up the change and grew. Is there a way to shrink the DB size once it has been increased or should I just setup a new server, reconfigure all the settings (email alerts, a couple reports to customers, etc) and change the IP address to that of the old one? IF I just setup a new one, can I export all the settings to the new one? I took a quick look earlier but didn't see a settings export.

Looking for insight on easiest path as I don't have much time to work on it.

Comments

• Options
    RalphRalph WatchGuard Representative

Hello Chaos,

"..so that dimension will hopefully run better because right now its dreadful...." Feel free to log a support case. The database may need a tune. The default settings (not exposed at the moment) might be inefficient for this environment.

"...Is there a way to shrink the DB size once it has been increased ..." log/reporting data wise, yes, Home/ Server Management / Configuration / Database SIze. Disk wise, I don't believe the hypervisor will let you downsize once you up sized a disk

"..IF I just setup a new one, can I export all the settings to the new one? .." Dimension settings can be exported via the Database Backup. This should be your backup of things other than logs. It's mirror of the database structure, including those custom settings. The backup is quite small....

• Options

Thanks! I have discovered my server is too old for what I am trying to do. I am going to setup a new one with faster drives and after that I will call support to see if there are any settings that should be tuned for the amount of watchguards I am logging.

Thanks!

Sign In to comment.