What is the largest Firebox that is fanless (i.e. silent)

I am using a smallest box for a residential installation (no server room or rack). I want to upgrade to a more powerful unit but it needs to be silent (or very very quiet). In this setting a rack mount (e.g. M200) sounds like a Boeing taking off :) .

Are all of the T models fanless and silent? (T15 to T70 or T80)?

If not, where is the cross-over when the units get internal fan?

Thanks in advance for any help.
EnEm

Comments

• T70 has no fan and I am pretty sure that a T80 also has no fan..

Adrian from Australia

• edited June 2020

Which model do you have now? Are you sure you need a T80? I have both a T35 and a T20 at home on Spectrum Cable 200 x 10 service. I really cannot tell them apart, but I don't have high ISP speed, either.

The T80 data sheet makes no mention of a fan, nor do any of the T-series mention fans.

Compare models:
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/appliances-compare/42051/17846/42056/42061

Gregg Hill

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@xxup T80 does have a fan, but it is normally off unless the device is very hot. it's on the side, the front/back device pictures don't show it.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• @James_Carson said:
    it's on the side, the front/back device pictures don't show it.

That's just plain sneaky.. I bet this is a question in the next certification exam..

Adrian from Australia

@xxup said:
    That's just plain sneaky.. I bet this is a question in the next certification exam..

>

I'll pass your suggestion on to the training/publications department!

-James Carson

• @James_Carson said:
    @xxup T80 does have a fan, but it is normally off unless the device is very hot. it's on the side, the front/back device pictures don't show it.

Considering how hot the T-series tend to run anyway, how loud is that fan?

Gregg

Gregg Hill

@Greggmh123 said:

Considering how hot the T-series tend to run anyway, how loud is that fan?
    Gregg

It hasn't been any louder than the fan on my laptop when it does flip on during bootup. I'll see if I can find an official spec on the speed and dBM.

-James Carson

@Greggmh123 In specifications I was able to find that the fan can potentially go up to 10k RPM, so could potentially make as much noise as a rackmount under the worst conditions.

In an 70F/21C office with a normal load (15 VMs running traffic through it) I have never experienced the fan coming on aside from initial bootup.

It's worth noting that the last revision of the XTM 25/26/33 also had a small fan that almost never turned on.

-James Carson

• I have bad memories of my first box i my home office, a Core X550e with three full-speed fans that sounded like Pratt & Whitney F100 turbofan engines with afterburners roaring. I actually built a thick foam-lined box for it and mounted it in my office (second bedroom) walk-in closet to try to deaden the sound. I was SO happy to get a table-top model after that! I had a 23-W and a 26 that were silent. My rack is four feet away, so I need quiet.

Gregg Hill

• Thanks for the answers. Going down from the T70/T80, is there a point where the boxes have no fan?

• The new T20 & T40 do not have fans.
    I have a T20.

• Thanks again Bruce :smile:

Sign In to comment.