Helper service not starting

I discovered that I couldn't connect to localhost:8080 when checking the AD helper so I updated to helper 6.0.2.11373 using an elevated command prompt and the command: msiexec /package helper-6.0.2.11373.msi.

Checking the services, I see the helper is not running. When I try to start it, I get the message "The helper service on Local Computer started and then stopped..."

This is logged in the Application Log after the start attempt:
Service cannot be started. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at winsw.WrapperService.StartProcess(Process processToStart, String arguments, String executable)
at winsw.WrapperService.OnStart(String[] _)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

I've uninstalled, rebooted and tried again with the same problem. Any suggestions?

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @CraigS

The first thing I'd check is that Java is still installed and is running. If you type "java -version" on your command line, you should get a response from Java with version number.

If the issue continues, I'd suggest a support ticket.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• edited March 2021

It looks like I have the latest, I'll open a ticket. Thank you.

java version "1.8.0_281"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_281-b09)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.281-b09, mixed mode)

*** Follow up ***
    Based on James comment, I uninstalled Java and reinstalled it without any success. I then pulled down the Java SE 16 and installed it manually and discovered that the environment path variable may have previously been incorrect (even though I was able to get the version). Anyhow, I now have a successful Java installation and I was able to successfully install the AD Helper.

Sign In to comment.