connection failed, please check your server IP or network

This user typically connects to the office by VPN from her home in Irvine, CA.
Now she is visiting her sister in Boston, MA. When she tries to VPN, she gets the error "connection failed, please check your server IP or network." The log file is empty.
Could the WG Mobile VPN on her laptop have cached the IP address of her home network?

Comments

• Which mobile VPN type are you using?

• WatchGuard Mobile VPN with SSL

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @sysadmin_bfa

If the user types in whatever they're typing in the SSLVPN address area into a web browser, do they get a webpage?

For example
    If they type in 1.2.3.4
    go to a web browser and type in https://1.2.3.4

if they type in vpn.watchguard.com:444
    go to a web browser and type in https://vpn.watchguard.com:444

You may have to click through a certificate warning, but they should see a watchguard web page -- if they're not getting there, they may have copied down the address for the VPN incorrectly.

The log file should contain logs from previous connections that were successful, so that suggests this may be a new installation.

If you still can't get her to connect to the VPN. I'd suggest opening a support case by using the support center link on the top right of the page.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• She was able to connect via the browser. She uninstalled the VPN client, re-download, re-downloaded it, and reinstalled it. Still gets the same connection failed message. I had her change the log level from Low to High.
    Still nothing in the log file.

• @sysadmin_bfa do you see anything in the firewall logs of her attempting to connect? Screenshot with the correct connection information to confirm there's no typo, etc.. ?

Is her sister's network blocking the vpn traffic somehow?

• Okay, problem solved. A screen shot of her connection showed she had a period at the end of the URL. After removing it she can now connect.
    She said "how did it work before with the period?" but I think maybe it didn't.
    Thanks for your help!

Sign In to comment.